Kayak Halifax is not
uneven tan lines, wet feet,
full bellies & sore muscles,
laughter & smiles,
across the miles,
Moments of Zen,
a sense of awe, wanderlust
or the impulse to contact
a Nova Scotia realtor.
& Wild Islands
Book Online Now
What You Need to Know
Safety is always our first priority. Sturdy sea kayaks, pfds, paddling instruction, safety gear and briefing provided. Our qualified guides are CPR and First Aid-certified. Pre-trip: RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL TOURS, RENTALS AND LESSONS. We are only open by appointment only. This is necessary so that we can stagger groups and help promote social distancing and less contact with other groups Limiting group sizes to 2 to 8 people (plus 2 guides); private household or “bubble family” group preferable All participants will verbally be screened for COVID-19 before the tour. Day tours only: 2, 2.5, 4 or 6-hour tours One tour per person per day Only households from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Newfoundland (until border restrictions are eased) Everyone will be in double kayaks as much as possible to limit the risk of capsizes unless participants have previous kayaking experience. This applies to rentals as well. Numbering or assigning kayaks to specific guides and clients. This will make it easier to quarantine kayaks and contact trace if client or guide present with symptoms Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty gear and discard after each use. Wash hands immediately after gloves are removed. If reusable gloves are worn, gloves should be dedicated to handling dirty gear and should not be used for other purposes. Wash hands immediately after gloves are removed. Instruct guests to bring their own individual bathroom bags with hand sanitizer, hand soap, toilet paper and gloves Payment online or by e-transfer only Digital waiver Regularly clean and disinfect equipment used for handling payments. No snacks, lunches or any food will be supplied before, during or after the tour. Paddlers will be asked to bring food and drink adequate for the amount of time on the water Tours will occur only on days with fair weather as per normal operating procedure Encourage social distancing at all times before, during, and after the tour. o all instruction will be given at a distance of 2m from all paddlers o Guides will verbally instruct participants on how to help each other with their gear and boat to get ready for the tour o Kayakers will adjust their own foot pedals (or help from a family member) o If anyone at any time needs to be within 2m of another person they will wear a face covering Increased verbal instruction: foot pedals adjustment and spray skirt Moving kayak: each person will lift the kayaks from the same position to limit contact Participants will lift and carry their own kayak and equipment. Disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer will be available in every boat so that guest may sanitize at any time. At no time during the tour will the guide touch the client’s boat. If a guide needs to touch a boat, they will wear a mask. During the tour Maintaining social distance on the water No rafting up Route plan will take paddles only to calm protected areas of the ocean, There will be Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer available in each boat throughout the tour and the guide will carry extra hand sanitizer, masks and gloves. If a kayaker capsizes their boat the guide will use a Catamaran Rescue (a no contact rescue) when possible: With 2 paddles for stability Guide and double with stirrups can use other double with stirrups to create steps for guests to climb back into cock pit. If client still feels uncomfortable guide can stay connected for stability. o If this rescue is not feasible the guide will wear a mask and gloves and will proceed with a typicalassisted re-entry If first aid is needed, (cuts, injuries) during the tour everyone involved will wear gloves and a mask. If possible, the guide will talk one person through the process allowing only those family members on tour to help each other in close proximity. If the injuries are more serious, EMS will be contacted, and the guide will use all necessary precautions to help the injured person. After the tour Extensive cleaning procedures for gear and equipment. After the tour, the kayaker will be asked to remove all equipment and leave it in the kayak. The guide will then proceed to wipe down all equipment with products recommended by Health Canada before hanging to dry and/or storing
No experience necessary.
We are proud to offer our customers high-quality touring (sea) kayaks, in single and double occupancy. Capsizes are very rare.
No experience necessary.
What to Bring
Valid Photo ID
(Provided at the dock)
Sense of Adventure.
And Sense of Humour.
(in a non-glass container)
Sunscreen, Sunglasses, a Hat.
Dress in layers. Windbreaker. Waterproof Jacket.(especially for May, October tours), Quick dry shirt/shorts.
Pack your Go Pro. We have dry bags for your cell phone and cameras. Personal items may be safely stored with you onboard or left with our team.
Our meetup location is walking distance from downtown hotels, restaurants and attractions. We are only 5 minutes from the Seaport Market and Halifax Cruise Terminal on the Halifax Waterfront. If driving, parking lots and street parking are available nearby.
Pay & Downtown Halifax hotel pickup may be available for an extra fee. (credit card & coin).
We do not have a physical sales office. Meetup location details are provided with your booking confirmation. Hotel pickup may be available for an extra fee.
Our professional and experienced guides are trained in: emergency rescue procedures, pre-trip briefing, communication and ethics, navigation, wildlife, local history, eco-friendly island use and more.
Your safety is our priority. Our guides are First Aid and CPR-certified.
Guide gratuities are always appreciatively accepted.
(we have precious cargo onboard)
(to the earth and others)
(our guides are experienced, trained, and knowledgeable)
(that’s the point, isn’t it?)
"For what it costs, it's the best tour of the harbour and Georges Island. Really loved it!" David M.
"Loved every minute of tonight's Sunset Tour of Downtown and Georges Island. Kayaks were top-notch, as was the company and guide." Simon C.
"I can attest to this as an awesome experience. Great scenery, and a humble guide." Griffin L.
"Had an amazing time. Thanks to our guide for such a great experience!" Nina-Lee A.
- "Experiencing Halifax from the water was awesome – the highlight of my trip. Eric was a fantastic guide. I highly recommend Kayak Halifax." ~ Katelyn M.
- "A great day out on the water in the Halifax harbor with our family! The guides were patient and knowledgeable." ~ Karen S.
- "We had a half day in Halifax, kayaking the harbor seemed like a great way to get a little exercise and see the city from a different perspective - and it 100% was amazing. From the little things (the owner, Ed, fed the meter when we realized we would be out on the water past the point when our parking would expire) to the bigger things (our guide, Kate, was knowledgeable and super friendly) the entire experience was terrific. We even saw a few seals, including one that surfaced about 20 feet from the kayak. This was a really fun way to experience a new city in a way I'd never really considered." ~ Doug B.
- "This was a great tour. Our guides, Ana and Kate, were very knowledgeable and informative. We paddled around Georges Island and then farther down the harbor and back. It was a wonderful 2 hours. I would highly recommend it, even if you have no kayaking experience." ~ Philip S.
- "Capturing one of the most amazing moments of my life! #Kayaking with Kayak Halifax drew a large smile on my face and in my heart! Eric & Anna were beyond friendly and nice. It was my first time in a kayak and they made me feel so safe. Thank you for an unforgettable experience!" ~ Warde B.
- "I've lived here my whole life and never have I experienced the views of Halifax as I did doing the kayak tour. It was amazing and the tour guide was so sweet and it made me fall in love with my city all over again." ~Gracie P.